Top 10 Things to Remember in a Car Accident
People are in car accidents every day.
Oftentimes, people involved in car accidents panic whether the accident is very serious or a minor fender bender.
Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers advise you to read the car accident checklist below so that you can be prepared in case you are involved in an accident.
- Stay Calm: Get yourself and others out of moving traffic. It is dangerous to stand on the road to assess the damage to your vehicle. Just move out of the way until the police arrive.
- Report It: Nowadays, most people have cell phones at their disposal. Call the police immediately and report the accident. Wait for the police to arrive so a police report can be made.
- Seek Medical Attention: Don’t take a chance on your health. After a car accident in Atlanta, our lawyers know that most people are shaken up and do not feel pain right away. Don’t deny medical treatment. You should seek medical treatment to ensure that you don’t have any hidden injuries.
- Watch What You Say: If you’ve been involved in a car accident, be careful what you say. Any admissions made at the scene of an accident can be used against you. Take care to answer the questions asked by the police honestly, but do not talk too much with the other driver.
- Exchange Information: Keeping in mind the above, exchange insurance information with the other driver. You should also obtain their name, address, and phone number. If possible, get the other driver’s license plate number and record their driver’s license number. This is information that you need later.
- Take Note: At your earliest convenience, begin taking notes of the circumstances of the accident. If you are able, write down information while you are still at the crash site when it is fresh in your mind. If you have a camera with you or a camera phone, take pictures of the site of the accident. Also, take note of the other vehicle’s make, model, and color.
- Obtain Witness Information: Speak to anyone who may have witnessed the accident, and obtain their name, address, and telephone number.
- Note where the accident occurred in the Atlanta area or elsewhere: Write down the location of the accident and give a very detailed description of the accident site. Things to consider:
- How many lanes were there?
- Was it a one-way or two-way street?
- Note the direction of each vehicle.
- State which lane each vehicle was traveling in.
- Were their traffic control devices?
- Was someone directing traffic?
- Was there construction?
- Was there inclement weather?
- Note the Condition of Each Vehicle: Try to write down the exact damage done to each vehicle. Write down whether a vehicle was damaged on the left or right side or whether the vehicle had damage to the front or rear. If you are not rushed to the hospital, write down whether the vehicles were driven from the scene or had to be towed.
- Contact the Atlanta lawyers at The Angell Law Firm for a free consultation. The car accident lawyers at The Angell Law Firm are experienced attorneys and will advise you on how to protect your rights.
Bryce is considered a highly esteemed trial lawyer and a passionate client advocate amongst his peers in the Atlanta legal community. Never afraid to go the extra mile for his clients, Bryce Angell works tirelessly to ensure that each client’s personal injury case gets the attention that it deserves.