Not Sure Where To Start?

Contact us today and let one of
our experienced attorneys assist you.

How Can I Prove Liability in a Wrongful Death Case in Atlanta?

Prove Liability in Wrongful Death

The only thing more devastating than losing a loved one is losing a loved one to wrongful death. When tragic accidents happen that result in a loved one passing away, it can be impossible to know your rights and where you should turn for help. The thought of filing a lawsuit may seem especially daunting while grieving. However, you should know that if you lose a spouse, parent, or child to wrongful death in Atlanta, a personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation that’s rightfully owed to you, and will work to make the process effortless on your behalf.
Prove Liability of Negligent Party
In order to recover compensation in a wrongful death claim, your lawyer will compile evidence in order to prove the liability of the negligent party. If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible to file for a wrongful death lawsuit, call The Angell Law Firm and schedule a free consultation with an attorney in order to have your preliminary questions answered. You deserve to have a clear path for justice moving forward in order to get your life back on track after a terrible accident.

How Can I Prove Liability in a Wrongful Death Case in Atlanta?

After a loved one has passed away, many people may be in mourning. But, there are only certain people who are legally permitted to file a wrongful death claim. The surviving spouse is the first party that is allowed to file a claim. If there is no surviving spouse, then the victim’s surviving children may file the claim instead. If there are no children or spouses, the deceased’s parents or other relatives may be eligible to file the claim as well.
No Surviving Spouse
But, regardless of who files the lawsuit, recovering compensation in a wrongful death claim requires proving that the negligent party had a legal duty to protect your deceased loved one from death. For example, an individual who passes away while committing a crime or trespassing on someone’s property is not owed a duty of care from the person who owns that property. But, if your loved one passed away in a car accident, they were owed a duty of care by other drivers on the road.

After proving that the negligent party owed your loved one that duty of care, you also must be able to prove that the negligent party did in fact breach that duty, which caused the accident. This sometimes means the negligent party acted carelessly, did not proactively maintain conditions for safety, or failed to repair hazards that put your loved one at risk for harm. Finally, it must be proven that your loved one passed away as a direct result of this breach.

It is never easy to lose a loved one, but it is especially devastating when a loved one wrongfully dies in a tragic accident. If your spouse, parent, child, or relative was owed a duty of care that was then breached, causing a fatal accident, you have the right to seek justice and compensation for your damages.

Contact an Atlanta wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible, as you may be entitled to compensation for not just your loved one’s medical bills, or lost wages, but the loss of their companionship as well. You shouldn’t have to suffer alone, and a Georgia wrongful death lawyer will be able to assist you every step of the way.

What Kind Of Compensation Can I Receive From A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

As the survivor of a loved one who passed away from wrongful death, you can file a lawsuit in Georgia for the compensation you deserve after the loss of the loving relationship, companionship, and comfort you can tragically no longer receive from your relative.

The depression, anxiety, and trauma that follow a tragic loss are not to be overlooked. You deserve to be compensated for the pain and suffering you and your family have endured after your loved one’s passing, and your attorney will fight to have this non-economic type of damage incorporated into your settlement.
Loss of Companionship
In addition to compensation for the loss of companionship, you deserve to fight for economic support as well. When a loved one tragically and suddenly passes away, it can be hard for grieving families to adjust without the financial support that the deceased provided prior to their death. Your Atlanta wrongful death attorney will fight for lost wage compensation so you don’t have to suffer financially while you grieve the loss of your loved one.

If your loved ones left behind outstanding medical debt, your lawyer will also seek to recover compensation that satisfies this debt and frees you from the burden of paying for their care.

You may even be able to recover compensation that pays for your loved one’s funeral expenses, such as the cost of burial, cremation, or memorial services.

In cases where the negligent party was found egregiously or especially careless, punitive damages may be paid. Punitive damages are considered punishment and are typically awarded at the court’s discretion when the defendant’s behavior is found to be especially harmful.

Even if you’re unsure where to begin, the first step to justice after a devastating loss is to talk to a lawyer right away. Our compassionate, caring attorneys will walk you through the wrongful death process step by step and ensure you feel confident and cared for throughout the entirety of the claim process.

If Your Family Has Suffered A Loss Due To A Wrongful Death, Consult With The Angell Law Firm As Soon As Possible

The sooner you contact an Atlanta wrongful death attorney, the sooner you can get relief from the burdens of this untimely passing. At The Angell Law Firm, we offer an initial case evaluation at no cost to you in order to answer any preliminary questions you have and give you a timeline of what to expect when moving forward with the wrongful death claim process.

To schedule your free, no-obligation consultation, call The Angell Law Firm today at (770) 217-4954. Our compassionate, caring attorneys are ready to help you and your family move forward and get the help you need.

Scroll to Top